This problem is often caused by some missing or corrupt Windows components and the following guide should help make sure these are installed and working correctly.
The first thing to try is to disable your security software temporarily as this can interfere with the game launching. If you're familiar with your brand of software, you can whitelist the Elite Dangerous files. These files are called elitedangerous64.exe, and Watchdog64.exe. These can be found in either the EDLaunch folder or the game folder. You can find these by using the folder locations FAQ.
VISUAL C++ REDISTRIBUTABLES
- Please check for updates on your computer. ***This is a crucial step and must be completed before proceeding!***
Go to Start/search --> type in 'windows updates' --> Check for updates
- Open Programs and Features and uninstall all items beginning with Microsoft Visual C++...
- Run Disk Cleanup in Windows. Make sure to tick the option to Delete temporary files
- Restart your PC
- Run the installers found here:
As a final step, please restart your computer once more or if the installers direct you otherwise, please follow their instructions.
If the launcher is still not allowing you to launch the game after this then please quit the launcher and any other non-crucial applications before you proceed!
1. First, turn off .NET in Windows Features. An easy way to access this is to type Windows Features in Start > Search. Make sure that all available versions of .NET are disabled.
2. Open Programs and Features from the Windows Control Panel. An easy way to bring this up is to type 'Programs and Features' into Start > Search.
3. Uninstall everything that starts with 'Microsoft .NET', starting with the highest version numbers first (you may find that no entries exist in Programs and Features at all, in this case please continue to step 4)
4. Download and install all versions of .NET that apply to your versions of Windows:
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, and 7
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2
- Windows 8.1, 8, and 7:
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 - Windows 8.1, 8, and 7 (only if 4.5.2 won't install):
If Windows asks you to restart your computer at any of these steps, please do so. Once the whole process is done restart one final time.
And lastly, please try a clean installation of your graphics drivers, you can find out how to do this from our guide here.
Should the issue persist please open a ticket with our customer support team by clicking the button below who will be able to look further into the problem for you.